Monday, January 4, 2016

It's soooooo cold!!

This last week was new year back here in good ol' Gyumri!! On new year we straight up just ate. We went to 7 different houses and in each place we ate so much dolma and blinchiks! Dolma is rice or meat wrapped up in grape leaves and a blinchik is meat rolled up in crêpes. At the end of the day I thought my stomach was going to explode. But luckily it didn't. We spent the next two days recovering and drinking a lot of Coke. That's the only medicine we have.  I think I'm good now but we will spend the next few days avoiding eating because all the food goes bad and they still get us to eat.  Dad would do really well here because they too won't let anything go to waste. Wish me luck! 
We also did a sweet service project ish.  Our ward mission leader redid part of his house and he had to carry a bunch of really heavy concrete blocks down 8 flights of stairs.  It was tough and to be honest I didn't think that i was going to survive for a while. But we finished with our heads held high.  Right after we finished there were men getting garbage to put in their truck to burn later so they can keep their homes warm and they asked us to help.  I was thinking that I was way too out of energy to do anything, but we went on ahead and helped.  During that there were boards on the ground that had rusty nails sticking out and elder Olson told me to watch for those. Of course I didn't listen and at the end he told me that I didn't listen to him.  I looked down to see a nail stuck in the bottom of my shoe.  Luckily it went I'm through the heel of my shoe so it didn't go through my foot, but if it had been just an inch lower I would've had a nice tetanus shot with my name on it.  I really need to start paying attention better.  
Other than that I didn't really have much.  Except for moms birthday.  I hope you had a freaking awesome birthday mom! I hear your turning 106!  That's what I wrote on my planner at least.  Sounds like it was awesome and we had a great day of missionary work just for you!!  
Oh last thing, we were at our newly recent converts house on new year and G told us that he had been clean from smoking for four days and he asked when he was going to be baptized.  He also blamed us for him gaining weight because he started eating instead of smoking.  But we will probably be having another baptism next week for him.  
The church is true and I know that Joseph Smith was a pamphlet... Prophet! Love you all!!

Elder Christensen

1 comment:

  1. Smoking does burn about 500 extra calories a day and weight is common when one gives up smoking. I'm happy that nail didn't piece his foot. He sure gave a lot of service. It is amazing how much one person can do, even when they feel they are to exhausted to do more.

    ReplyDelete