Thursday, August 6, 2015

DOES ANYONE KNOW HOW TO ROLL THEIR R'S?


So this week has been really fun and really stressful.  Last Thursday we taught three return missionaries and it was really cool.  Before we had only taught our teachers pretending to be our investigators, but these were people that we knew nothing about until we met them that night.  It was so cool! We taught two friends for one of them.  I can't remember their names... Whoops! But they were both members but we thought the guy said he wasn't a member so we taught him how to pray and committed him to read the Book of Mormon to only find out later that he was a member... But either way it was fun
                                                
We taught both Margarite and Tigran again a few times and we even tried out phone calls.  Really it was just a hand phone, but either way it was fun.  Our latest phone call with Margarite was really funny.  We had ten minutes to prepare and so we prepared for my comp to do the call.  Right before it started Sister Boyle looked straight at me and said I was going to do the phone call.  I straight up panicked, but I ended up doing alright.  I asked her if she prayed and read the Book of Mormon and she did, but then she asked if I had too.  So I ended up reporting to my investigator instead of the other way around.  It was really fun.

On Sunday Sheri Dew spoke to us.  It was really cool even though I didn't know who she was until she showed up, but apparently she's the CEO for Deseret book and used to be in the general relief society, so that was super cool.  She talked about how Jesus has rules that we have to follow at all times and we never know whose watching.  As Christ's representatives we have rules we must follow consistently to be good missionaries.

On Tuesday President Russell M. Nelson spoke to us and that was so sweet.  I never put my pen down, not even for a second.  The spirit was so strong and I was afraid I couldn't write fast enough.  One thing he talked about that stood out to me was he talked about how in heart surgery he had to follow rules and if he was exactly obedient to those rules he would have a guaranteed outcome. It works the same way as missionaries.  If we are exactly obedient we have a guaranteed outcome.  We receive blessing as long as we're obedient to His commandments.  Sister Nelson also spoke and she said that if we ever feel alone remember that there are fifteen million people praying for each of you everyday.  It was a really cool meeting.

The church is true.  The Lord has called His missionaries for a purpose.  I know that everyone in the MTC and in the field are there for a reason.  I'm glad to be in the lord's service and part of his work at this time in my life.
Elder Perkins, Elder Christensen

Also I saw Elder Perkins at the temple which was awesome and does anyone have tips on how to roll your r's.  I have no idea and one of the letters is just a rolled r.  So I'm struggling.


Sister Boyle also taught us this awesome lesson this week.  So Yerevan was established in about 2500 B.C. making it one of the oldest cities.  Anyway the language is very important to them.  By learning the language we are not only communicating with them but connecting with them.  The language is so old and the country has been attacked so many times that they are so proud that it has survived this long.  They believe that God has kept it here for a reason.  The whole lesson just made me stoked to be out here.  She told us that the language before Armenian was super old, like before the Cyrillic alphabet and stuff.  I can't remember what it's called though.
Well, I love you people!
Love, Elder Christensen

No comments:

Post a Comment